The South and North Alabama Railroad Company constructed the Helena Freight House and Depot about 1872 while repairing damage inflicted by Union raiders in 1865. The original location of the structure was just north of the present railroad crossing. When a new depot was constructed around 1905, the building was moved by C.T. “Tom” Davidson to a site behind his house where he used it for storage and a work shop.
From 1872 to 1905, this building served as the hub of activity for the area. Most goods and people arriving or departing from Helena passed through this depot. It is one of the oldest structures remaining in town surviving the disastrous 1895 fire, the tragic 1933 tornado and numerous floods. It was moved to its present site in March 1999.
- No trackbacks yet.